Koken Barber Chair. A professional antique (the early 1900s) hydraulic barber chair from Koken Supply Company. In order to protect the original leather material, it has been reupholstered. This impressive Hair Stylist is more than just a chair. It is a valuable piece of equipment to make your busy day on your feet easier. This Koken Barber Chair features:
- Kick-out calf pad and footrest;
- An adjustable and removable headrest with ornamental trim on the side;
- Extra wide seat to ensure larger clients are comfortable;
- Small swivel ashtray (with lid) attached to the side of the armrest;
- Chrome side lever that controls the reclining mechanism and raises the footrest;
- Foot bar that controls the hydraulics;
- An attached strip of leather (called a “strop”) to straighten, sharpen, and polish the blade of a straight razor;
- Reupholstered many years ago to protect the original leather material;
- Measures about 44″ front to back, 27″ left to right, and 55″ to the top of the seat; and
- Weighs around 350 pounds. Due to the weight of the chair, the buyer is responsible for arranging pick-up and delivery.
The chair was appropriately named after its inventor, Earnest Koken. He was responsible for the innovative hydraulic technology that modernized the hair styling industry forever. It was the first chair to hydraulically lift up and down using a lever or foot pedal. Prior to this, the entire chair had to be spun around in circles to raise or lower it. In addition, the design and craftsmanship of the chair have made it the most desired barber chair on the market. The hydraulics, reclining, and rotation makes the process of shaving and washing and cutting hair easier for the professional barber.